Here is an interesting graphic created from numbers aggregated from theIs Your Industry Growing or Dying?
Bureau of Labor and Statistics on which industry have good projected long
term economic growth and which do not. When it comes to job searching and
keeping your career on track, fish where the fish are.
Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
Here is an interesting graphic created from numbers aggregated from theIs Your Industry Growing or Dying?
Are you in a full-time job search? Many job seekers who are, find that supplementing their income until they land their next job takes a lot of pressure and anxiety off of them and helps to build their confidence and keep their energy and motivation up.
You can create one or more temporary income streams using the following strategies:
- Management Consulting – Jobs in management consulting (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics) have DOUBLED over the last 10 years. If you are experienced in your niche, this can make exceptional additional income! Guru and Elance are great sites for getting the word out and giving you the ability to instantly bid on projects. Flexjobs has an annual fee of $49, or you can sign up by the month – word from my clients is that this is an excellent site and resource. RealMatch is yet another option.
- Higher Ed Adjunct Teaching – Teach part-time in your area of expertise and get paid for it! Adjunct teaching is increasingly popular with state and local colleges as they do not have to cover benefits.
- Ebay/Craigslist – The business you can do using these mediums is pretty phenomenal. I know many people who generate significant passive income off these sites.
- Interim Executives – Many companies are looking for interim executives for various reasons. Most of the largest recruitment firms in the U.S., including Heidrick and Struggles, Russell Reynolds, Spencer Stuart and Spherion, now have specialized practice areas for interim executive placement.
- Corporate Project Assignments – Gear a version of your resume toward project assignments, highlighting the key skills/strengths you are really experienced in. This strategy appeals to companies (even for some full-time positions) because these positions don’t require automatic long-term commitments or benefit packages, and contracting projects can generally meet many corporate challenges at significant savings to them. The benefits to you are clear, including getting your foot in the door for more permanent work and giving you a chance to see if you and said company are a fit!
- Register With Your Local Temporary Agency – Employers hire entry AND mid-level professionals for project assignments through temp firms.
- Earn Income From Your Hobby – A few things I have seen people do in the past include selling fresh baked bread or veggies at their local farmers market, dog boarding, day care, ghostwriting, graphic design, selling antiques, equestrian lessons and photography.
Guest post by Stanley Albrighton
The past few decades have borne witness to a great number of changes in the Middle East. Many will associate the region with internal religious and political turmoil, however it is essential to understand that socioeconomic progress has ushered in a new era of advancement for the region. For this reason, the once-thought standard policies of executive recruitment have experienced a drastic shift in recent times. Let us first examine some of the changes occurring, and then apply these changes to noted shifts in recruitment policies.
Integration and Economic Factors
One of the most pivotal variables that has brought about changes in recruitment policies has to do with the fact that through technology, the Middle East is becoming increasingly integrated. If we then combine this with the rising wealth from oil and outside investments, it should come as no surprise that regional executive recruitment techniques have changed. Therefore, let us highlight some of the key points that have begun to affect recruitment policies.
A Lessened Desire for Western Talent
Although western expertise was once prized in this region, one must now take into account the fact that the internet age has produced a sizable number of trained professionals from other markets. Indeed, the Middle East is producing a large amount of experts in numerous fields. Notwithstanding the internally trained sector, the cost of western specialists has become prohibitively expensive for many corporations. Developing nations and those that have undergone significant economic distress are now offering up their expertise as well as many professionals that seek life outside of their respective countries. Therefore, this presents a valuable source of affordable executives while not sacrificing quality.
Arabic Speakers Needed
As the Middle East continues to gain a stronger foothold in the global economy, those who are fluent in Arabic are considered a commodity. In the past this was necessary for outside communications, but as this region has steadily become more integrated, Arabic speakers can increase intra-region communication effectively. As relatively few westerners have a sufficient grasp of Arabic (although the numbers are indeed on the rise), this illustrates another reason for a change in recruitment policy.
Attractive Financial Opportunities for Other Nations
Another key variable has to do with the fact that the Middle East’s domestic economies are largely tied to oil and natural gas production. As we have seen steady increases in the middle to long-term pricing in this sector, a large amount of liquidity is tied into the regional economy. Therefore, the Middle East represents an attractive foreign investment opportunity for the countries that can capitalize on such movement. This is one reason why executives looking to be recruited are experiencing a great deal of competition from countries such as India and China.
A Fertile Technological Hub
Although in the past the Middle East was seen as a source for raw materials alone, it is rapidly becoming one of the largest technological hubs in the world. Countries such as Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia have seen a great deal of technological companies seek to locate regional or global office in these regions. They realize that the burgeoning population, liquid capital and an increasingly specialized domestic workforce all represent attractive investment opportunities. Thus, they are more willing to recruit within the region than from abroad.
Lasting Effects of the Global Crisis
Lastly, it is important to recognize that many multinational corporations are still not recruiting at the levels they were prior to 2007. They prefer to keep expertise in-house as opposed to outsourcing capital. Unsurprisingly, this has been witnessed in the global corporations centered in the Middle East.
This paradigm shift reflects not only the growing influence the Middle East has on recruitment policies, but it signals a world that is becoming less defined by political and social borders than ever before. With further regional integration, a more professional workforce and access to cheaper labor from abroad, the westerner is not nearly in demand in the region as he or she was only a handful of years ago. While it may be argued that the Middle East still needs to deal with various regional tensions, it is nonetheless a fact that the landscape of executive recruitment due to economic progress has profoundly changed in this region.
About the Author:
Stanley Albrighton has worked with executive search firms for a number of years and has been lucky enough to recruit for various international and local organizations. He currently works for Marble Hill Partners, who help provide interim management.
Mark your calendars for tomorrow at 8pm ET…
Mark your calendars for entrepreneur mentor Ali Brown’s new free call:
“The 5 Commitments: Proven Strategies for Women to Guarantee Your Financial Success This Year”.
This is your chance to learn from *TWO self-made women*–Ali and Elevate coach Joy Chudacoff—who have built their businesses from scratch at home, in their own ways and honoring their personal values.
Here’s what you’ll learn on this information-packed free call:
* The *5 commitments women MUST make* in order to ensure your success
* Why it’s actually *selfish NOT to say “yes”* to yourself and to step into your highest good
* Why your current *FRIENDS and FAMILY could actually be INHIBITING your success*… and how to alleviate this problem so you don’t hold back taking your highest path (consciously or
* “Bootstrapping” secrets… *growing your business WITHOUT funding or investors* (this is how Ali and Joy did it, and you can too)
* How to *smartly navigate DEBT* while you grow your venture–large or small (debt is NOT evil… it’s a tool you can use
* Why it’s actually a *mistake for most new business owners* to go right for PASSIVE income… without doing THIS first
* How to *STOP your “feast or famine” cycle* and end those 2 a.m.
night-sweats about your income
* 3 ways to *LEVERAGE your efforts* so you make more money in less time
* Ali and Joy’s *BEST time management secrets*–especially for FEMME-preneurs and moms (it’s a whole different approach!)
* *When to keep your business lean and SIMPLE*, and when you should build multiple streams of income and add some complexity
See all the gems Ali and Joy are packing into this call here, and register before you forget!:
Glassdoor recently announced its 50 Best Places to Work list! The top 50 winners were selected by their employees – check it out!
Have you ever considered working with grantmaking foundations? According to the Dunn and Bradstreet database there are over 5,000 “grantmaking foundations” nationwide and they are growing at phenomenal rates.
Check out this article, which includes a list of the top 100 grantmaking foundations by asset size:
Hi everyone! I recently blogged that my e-book, Interview Follow Up Guide, is FREE to download on Amazon right now – until tomorrow, Tuesday the 27th. Here is the link again just in case:
I received several emails asking if one must have a kindle reading device to read this e-book and the answer is – NO!
You can read amazon e-books on your computer or smartphone. Just download their free apps from the box directly under the “buy now” button and you can read Amazon e-books using the following:
Kindle Cloud Reader: Read instantly in your browser
And by the way – reviews are appreciated if you like this e-book!
Take 3 minutes to learn how to save a life using an AED then tell a friend. What a great video.
We have all walked by the Red Cross sign in airports indicating where a heart machine is located. Do you know what is in them and how to use it? I did not. Try this video and see what you think:
To celebrate my birthday this week I am hosting my Annual Summer Sale through Monday, August 20th!
You SAVE 45% on my most popular home study courses!
Every birthday I get to celebrate is a blessing, and every year I am proud and honored to support you in your career journey!
If you’ve had your eye on my Award Winning Job Search Success System Home Study Course, then now is the perfect time to invest in your career AND save 45%.
Choose from these best-selling products:
- Award Winning Job Search Success System DIY Home Study Course 45% Off!
- Award Winning Job Search Success System DIY Home Study Course VIP With Private Coaching 45% Off!
- Secrets of the Hidden Job Market Revealed Audio Series and Guidebook 45% Off!
To get your discount, simply key in coupon code: BIRTHDAY and your discount will be automatically calculated in the checkout cart.
Remember, this Summer Sale ENDS Monday, August 20th!